Tuesday, May 26, 2009

More Yellowstone

This post won't be as long as the other. Here are some shots of a grizzly we saw driving in on our way to do the hike. May have to click on it to see it. He had his head down heading away from the road so nothing spectacular.


These are from my way home from my hike. There were about 50 spotting scopes and 100 people all along side the road. So of course you have to go supper slow through the traffic trying to see what they are looking at. Just before I decided I couldn't see anything worth stopping for I noticed something brown in the lake. I assumed a bear so I found a place to park and ran back to all the people. When I got back all I saw was an elk on a little island. I wondered what everyone was doing watching this elk. After a couple minuteslistening to people talk it turned out that 3 wolves had this elk trapped on the island trying to get it. People mentioned it had been going on all day long. I figured just a few hours. It was 5pm when I was there. I talked to someone the next day who was in yellowstone the same day as I was and he had seen the elk on the island at 9am. That poor elk was trapped there all day. With who knows how many people watching waiting to see the wolves attack it. I wasn't sure how I felt about waiting to see something like that plus I still had a long drive home so I shot some pictures and hung out maybe 15 min. I wondered if there was anyway for the elk to escape and having recently watched some discovery channel stuff on wolves figured it was a gonner.

First one you can see the elk in the water with a black wolf on the shore.

Elk on the island with wolf laying on the shore. There were also 2 gray wolves off to the right laying in the grass that I never could get a shot of.

Elk watching the wolf. The wolf sure looks big in these pictures to me.

The other day we were surfing some forums on the net and read a comment about people going to this lake to watch wolves feed on a carcass on an island. Don't know how long the elk lasted. But she had to stand on the island and watch the wolves while they laid along the shore and rested she didn't have much chance.

4 comments:

Mom said...

Your pictures are great that sure is a sad story.

peggysaulters said...

What can I say...oh the cycle of life; I am not sure I could have watched it either.

peggysaulters said...

Your dad says this is a trip through wonderland! But could he have watched....he says sure-if he had a gun he would have killed the wolves...just something wrong with his thinking as usual!

Mare said...

I told Todd I didn't even really want him to post the pics--the story just made me so sad to think about. But we heard quite a few on our lastest trip through the park. Sometimes the circle of life really just stinks!!