Thursday, June 25, 2009

Camping at Signal Mountain

We went camping at Signal Mountain this last weekend. Todd brought the kayak along for it's first official float of the summer. Coleman and I hung out on the shore while Todd and the boys explored the Oxbow bend.



Earlier in the day I made a comment that I wanted to actually see an otter. Well, I guess it was our lucky day because Todd spotted one! We were able to watch it for a few minutes while Coleman threw rocks in the water.



Later that evening it was my turn to venture out with Liston and Deacon. We were able to see tons of wildlife. As we meandered through the little islands on the river we were able to see a Mama moose and baby. Unfortunately I only had the video camera with me--which did me little good. I had a hard time paddling and filming at the same time :)


Here I am trying to film a beaver that kept swimming around us slapping his tail. I was surprised at how close he got to us and how long he swam near us. Liston and Deacon loved it!

Shots of Mount Moran and the Tetons


This young buck wandered right into our camp and munched on some bushes near our car. He definately wasn't shy. While he was there a doe came walking into our camp and was going to walk right by Coleman and Liston. Todd said he thought she was curious about all the noisy sounds they were making. We ended up seeing her baby later that day!

Here's a pretty little Western Tanager

Todd and the boys kayaked on Jackson Lake the next morning. I love the view of Mount Moran from the lakeshore.

And lastly we hit String Lake before we headed home.

5 comments:

Mom said...

It looks like you have been having lots of fun. Your pictures are really good. We haven't done anything very interesting we are just boring.

Sarah said...

Wow! great pics - I find it exhausting just to look at all the trips you keep taking:) who has to pack everything to get ready to go?
glad you guys are enjoying the summer so much!
love ya

Mare said...

Sarah, we do get kind of worn out at times and I hate the UNPACKING when we get home! But the winters here are just too long to stay home :)

Julie said...

Mare,

Sorry I missed your birthday. I meant to call you and then ended up working last week and forgot. I hope you had a great one and I want you to know I think of you often and wonder how you are doing. You are a great mom to those 3 on the go boys. You guys seem like you have a lot of fun.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!

Love,
Julie

peggysaulters said...

Oh my goodness what great shots! Ask and you shall receive---an otter, beaver, baby moose-mom moose, baby doe my heavens and that colorful bird to boot! Isn't life wonderful--you can only see that stuff if you are brave enough to venture so keep on going. How excited the boys must have been! What a great birthday gift huh!