Friday, June 4, 2010

Memorial Day Fun!

So, we headed to Yellowstone this last holiday weekend. Todd ended up having to work on Saturday morning so we got kind of a late start. But the weather was kind of crappy so being in the car for the day was not so bad :) We, okay really just Todd, set up the tent at Bridge Bay amid the snow coming down! The next morning we woke up and headed toward Mammoth for a little warmer campground. We went to church in Garder at probably the smallest branch I've ever been to. Sunday was much more pleasant with only a few rain showers. And we got to have a CAMPFIRE for dinner, which is pretty monumental because it was the first one we've ever had. So we broke out the hotdogs and s'mores to celebrate :)Oh I do have an exciting story to tell about Saturday night. Coleman wanted to go on a walk around the campground so I took his hand and we started on our walk. We had been hearing a cow elk calling for her baby a few minutes earlier but she had stopped and I assumed she found her baby. All of a sudden there was this really loud high pitch yelping and Coleman and I looked up on the hillside and saw a baby elk bounding down being chased by a coyote. Well, if you know me you know this is about the last thing I want to see--a baby being killed by a coyote. The coyote was so close, then all of a sudden 3 cow elk came over and chased the coyote away. Whew! I looked around on the road and other campers had gathered to see the action along with 4 other elk--all of us standing together! The other elk moved up the hillside I guess to help out in the guarding of the little elk. So yay, a happy ending to my little story!
On Monday, the sun came out and we spent most of our time walking the boardwalks looking at geysers. This really won the boys over and they were not too excited to go home! I'm sure we'll be back in the park soon! Here's a few pics! (Sorry I took some blurry one!) And yes we actually saw a bear--for about 3 seconds before the ranger yelled at us to get moving!






















4 comments:

Mommy Vance said...

I'm so jealous!!! We rarely see wildlife around here... maybe a cardinal and some frogs once in a while! Looks like a total blast!!!!

Mom said...

You have some really nice pictures. It looks like you had a fun time. The weather surely has turned hot now.

Loriann Jensen said...

Holy cow! You saw a lot of action!

Nice pics btw

reanna said...

Wow I guess I havent been on the blog scene for awhile. I am only just know checkin out your memorial day happenings. Jon was super jealous-wondering if he needed to move and be your neighbor to see all that cool stuff.