Saturday, February 27, 2010

Winter Hike

I have been reading a few winter mountaineering books this year so it got me motivated to try one of my own. Wanted to do Tablerock since it is such a good hike in the summer and I know people do it in the winter. Had to xc ski into the trailhead about 3.5 miles and snowshoe about 4 to the top. Luckily there were 3 snowmachines parked at the trailhead which resulted in 5 guys being ahead of me breaking the trail. Made the trail easy to follow. I've tried going up the face a couple of times in the summer but turn around because it is so steep and hot. Snowshoes and the wide trail were easier than hiking. About 1 mile from the summit the clouds rolled in and it started snowing. About .5 mile from the summit it got so thick I couldn't even see Tablerock. From there the wind started blowing like crazy. I couldn't even eat my victory candybar because the wind was blowing snow around so bad.







There had been six people on snowshoes covering the last quarter mile. When I started down the wind had drifted in any sign of mine or their snowshoe tracks. I didn't get any pics from the top because I couldn't see anything and the wind was blowing 100 miles and hour. 30 minutes later after I was down quite aways the wind stopped and the sun came out. Most of my pics are from the way down.




One last look back up the trail before I desend down the face to the trailhead.


Untracked snow everywhere was just gorgeous, couldn't capture it in a picture though.

Pretty sure I have never been above 11k feet before hiking in the winter. It was great aside from the summit storm. I do feel bad though because I left my great wife home with sick kids inturn making herself sick while I was off hiking/skiing for 9 hours. Sure am glad she loves me.

6 comments:

peggysaulters said...

Oh my goodness - that takes the cake MR.! I want to scream JEALOUS but I really am not...man I am envious of your physical ability to DO IT! What splendid pictures and having been where you went makes it sooo sweet to see it in the middle of winter. How the heck did you climb that last part? Way to go! I really don't think I could have done it - DARN IT!

peggysaulters said...

When your dad was telling me I kept saying NO WAY NO WAY! Callie kept saying how concerned she was that you did it alone and the What IF'S! To which your dad replied...back then I remember telling everyone: "Don't ever embarrass me by calling out the search party!" Then he said now that I am older he is reconsidering that statement~!

Mare said...

Yeah, he pretty much disregards any "what if's" I give him! I just have to send him off and pray the whole time he's gone! I thought he might actually reconsider this time because a few other people expressed their concerns but nope, he did it anyway :)

Mare said...

By the time I was skiing out and saw one guy I new headed up I figured 10 people went up there that same day. If there hadn't been such a wide trail it would have been different.

Mom said...

You are quite the mountaineer. It looks like a great Saturday adventure, the scenery was beautiful. Thanks for sharing the experience with us.

lisa said...

OMG OMG OMG I CANT BELIEVE U DID THAT ITS COOL but im really glad u made it back todd i had no idea u even went good thing for blogs and faceboo i guess i love u todd dont do that agin please mar dont let him do that alone todd dont do that stuff alone go with someone please ok thanks love ya